An Aide-memoir for on set working to ensure all bases are covered (obviously rolls are combined but the functions need to be performed:
- Cinematographer in collaboration with the script supervisor puts in marks and blocking
- Focus Puller/ Assistant camera (AC) measures distances to marks
- The Director (D) and actors discuss next take.
- Assistant Director (AD): “Quiet/silence on the set!”.
- AD: “Slate ready”
- AD: “Roll sound”.
- Sound recordist (S) “Speed”.
- AD: “Roll camera”.
- The camera operator (CO) “Camera rolling”.
- AD: “Mark it” (Quiet sticks if a close up)
- 2nd Assistant Camera (2AC or clapper/loader) “slates” with the sticks (multiple slates for multiple cameras)
- D: “Action!”.
- When the D feels the take is finished or that the take is going badly and wants to stop it he shouts “Cut!”.
- AD: “Tail slate”
- 2AC inverts slate
- The (S) and (CO) stop their devices and the actors stop acting.
- Everyone checks their equipment, marks the shot list in preparation for another take while the director confers with the actors.
Paraphrased and expanded from:
I will probably have to have this on a key ring or hang it round my neck for a while.