I wanted to create a drawn logo from a jpg for a while. I have never used Adobe Illustrator (Ai) before so it was quite difficult to find the required method.
1.Open the JPEG in Ai.
2. Top right corner has a drop down
3. Initially greyed out, when the image is highlighted, the tracing menu becomes live.
4. Choose from the drop downs.Noise should be set to ensure that detail is not lost. Higher resolution images may require a higher noise setting.
5. Go to the top left corner to create the tracing. A number of progress dialog boxes will process across the screen.The result is the outlines will be created.
6. To make changes permanent use expand.
7. Save the image in the file type of choice.
RP-I used http://blogs.adobe.com/adobeillustrator/2013/07/image-trace-in-illustrator-a-tutorial-and-guide.html to assist me.
LP- Take time to familiarise yourself with the method. A quick search online usually brings a variety of methods. Adobe in this case were the most helpful. Even so, finding the right buttons was still a challenge.
All Adobe products are subtly different. For instance the crop tool in Ai works in a completely counter intuitive way.