Had another chat with most the 2nd years regarding their Ilfracombe experience. They have not got their assignment back but offered the following.
- Ensure use of clapper. They didn’t have one and the resultant mismatch has been very time-consuming
- Have dedicated data supervisors to organise clips on the hard drives. Ensuring sound is with video. And backed up.
- Consider buying in a script or choosing one script that everyone agrees on.
- Have an overall producer and an overall Director
- Ensure the shot list is completed. They were missing bits of dialogue that were essential to understanding the plot.
- Don’t let the talent direct the movie. Get the best actors possible.
- Have clear production schedules (strips)
- Keep it really, really simple.
- Keep control of the project
- Be a director rather than camera/sound operators.
- Have an agreed module guide well before shooting.
- Be prepared!
I wanted to hear this from them and certainly confirms my observations of the filming. I am determined to ensure we have clarity around this module well before finish this year.