My most successful outcomes

This year has been full of successful outcomes but I have chosen three which were hard to achieve because of the challenges encountered or the detail required.

The Introductory skills workbook was a success because a lot of work went into planning  (addressing issues such as  what I would print on, how it would be printed, on what weight of paper it would be printed on and  how it would be bound?). Included within as taking advice from printers and our own printing services department.

As a proof of concept I created an initial 2 sided page which had bleeds and other elements (that I thought would be included in the final version) and then incorporated this in a 8 page trial bound booklet to check that it met my personal quality ad other criteria ( good colour printing, saved time, reflected the handwork I was about to produce.

The A3 size was dictated by the brief but the landscape format had to be agreed as it could only be bound on the short edge at reasonable cost.

During the planning I realised that the whole document could not to be printed in frequent proof so soft proofing ( in computer) was my only option. My final print was produced in the last week before submission and this was quite nerve racking.

In addition I realised there was an opportunity to use Adobe Indesign. The risk being that it required learning from scratch. I had not realised that there would be so many problems moving files from Creative Suite (CS6)  to Creative Cloud (CC) versions. Firstly they are not backward compatible and secondly there is a known long standing glitch that converted documents can lose the ability to save when working in CC. An additionally bugbear was how resource hungry the Adobe product range is and the inability of my lap top to cope . Finally outputting in a pdf format ( who would know there was so many), in the college, that could be printed was the final problem.

The layouts were quite mobile throughout the project. I had hoped that I could use a magazine pre-formatted style but I was unable to find any an open source / educational/ free source.

The techniques were a success I because I used fonts that reflected the material I was presenting.

As far as managing time this was a reasonable success but the learning overhead was substantial and had I been a more seasoned practitioner the volume of content could have been higher and perhaps quality.


The Neptune flyby I believe was a success born out of frustration and self study.  I had found Cinema 4D very hard to use and created a number of complete flops in class and subsequently trying to master it. I decided to sit down with it and make friends or at least become better acquainted. I spent an afternoon researching ways to use it and suddenly came across planetary simulation which appeals to me ( did I mention I have a GCE A* in Astronomy) . After applying what I had learnt I and managed to create a reasonable simulation of sun and a planet.

It then occurred to me that a flyby would be pretty amazing and I researched methodologies to create one. I planned out how it would approach and decided to make it a  simple camera eye view as this is the viewpoint audiences  would see from broadcast images from a probe. This needed the techniques of spheres rotating, texture mapping and and cameras flying past and fixing on one location. These skills needed to be learnt. Again in an extended session of work I believe I managed to create a satisfactory simulation .


The narrative module Run! pitch/presentation and Supporting information folder was a success because  I spent a significant amount of time ensuring that all the elements were present for example treatment, storyboard,  script sample all of which I had extracted from the module guide learning outcomes.

I had originally planned an different story for the module  and I had undertaken some shots in Berlin of the the denouement of that narrative.

However, as an observer in Ilfracombe on the location shoot I noted there was a lifeboat station. Equally a realistic script is required for filming and that has been on my mind for sometime.

While in Berlin I came up with an idea that involved a member of the crew running through the town  to get on board during an emergency call out. The story involves flash backs to a few mine before and ten years before as thoughts rush through their head as they hurry to the quayside. I then decided to abandon my original idea.

For the folder I researched both the narrative and the application of the script to the Ilfracombe location. I met with RNLI staff, RNLI Photographers, made a trial visualisation using the route I had calculated for the run, researched films and scripts with chases.

I constructed a presentation based on the folder and delivered the pitch within the time constraint. I am consciously trying to reduce the information on the slide ( One word or just a sentence) and this is the second time I have presented in this upbeat, punchy style. I believe I maintained everyone’s attention throughout and the class appeared engaged with  the idea.


Reflection

These succussful  outcomes were created by investing a significant amount of time in thinking about the concept, initial planning and then thorough work to deliver an outcome that met the demand of the brief. In future I will remind myself of the correlation between these factors and success. I will continue to develop this new style of presentations.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: